Friday, July 22, 2022

Venture into Northern Thailand – Pai



 

Have you ever thought of going on an adventurous solo trip? Well, I did and actually done it. It is exactly what I envision it to be!

 

It started off with a failed relationship and my way of moving forward. I guess it’s my excuse back then of getting to do the things that I was unable when being attached. I unknowingly uncovered the adventurous side of me and putting myself into the “uncomfortable zone” to change things up. Thus, the trip!

I did tons of research before deciding to go with a few days stay in Pai before heading to Chaing Mai and finally to Bangkok through overnight sleepers train. The route up to Pai from Chaing Mai was a long and winding one.

 

ABOVE: Sign board of Paicathut and their guest huts.

 

I arrived in the night and missed the guest house a few times because of their cursive written signboard. The guest huts were located further in behind the restaurant front. I stayed in a 6-person hut at Paicathouse Guesthouse. Their rooms are decent with a shared washroom and it cost only 6 SGD per day!

I woke up bright and early, excited to tour around Pai. I had the best papaya salad! The unripe papaya gives a good crunch. To balance off the sourness, fish sauce and some other sauces were used. Sprinkle over so roasted peanuts, crispy shrimps and chili flakes gives you the prefect appetizer. For the main dish, a bowl of pork noodle soup. Broth was flavourful with a hint of sweetness. Noodles cooked to prefection with a firm bite to it. Top it off with fried shallots, minced meat and spring onions – simply delicious!

 

 

ABOVE: Thai school kids grabbing food at a street store. My first meal in Pai. A bowl of pork noodle soup and the best papaya salad!

 

The main mode of transport to the outer parts of Pai would be to rent one of the motorcycles. However, I did not have a license and was rejected on the spot. The shop owner explained that there were too many accidents involving toruists. Thankfully, there were a number of travel booths that organize day tours and I signed up for one. (Thank god I was rejected. I met 2 other fellow travellers and both of them had motorcycle accidents in Pai).

 

ABOVE: There are a number of motorcycle rental shops in Pai. Do make sure to check the fuel levels and drive safe!

 

During the walk around Pai, I was drawn to the sound of gongs and a crowd ahead. Initially, I thought it was some sort of festive or temple event until I saw the coffin that I realized it was a funeral procession. We do have similar cultures back in Singapore.

 

ABOVE: Funeral procession in Pai.

 

The main highlight of the tour would be the Tham Lod Cave. We started off with feeding the fishes at the entrance before heading in on foot. The cave is filled with massive rock formations and some were pretty interesting.

As we headed deeper into the cave, it gets pretty dark and the only lights were from kerosene lamps held by the guides. It creates a mysterious atmosphere exploring the cave. It turned eerie when we found wooden coffins that were once used thousand of years back.

 

ABOVE: Boat men chilling by the cave waiting for torists to arrive. Huge fishes splashing in the entrance of the cave.

 

ABOVE: Amazing view of stalagmites and stalactites in Tham Lod Cave. They gives off a beautiful hue of green and purple when light hits them.

 

ABOVE: Wooden coffins that were carved and used serveral thousand years ago.

 

The interesting thing about this cave tour would be to ride out the other side of the cave on bamboo rafts. I would highly recommend to visit Tham Lod Cave! However, bear in mind this is not an easy hike. There are lots of steps to cover and air gets thinner as you venture deeper into the cave. Many parts of the cave are slippery and covered with bat’s poop. So be prepared to get a little sweaty and muddy.

 

ABOVE: I was panting hard as I took the shot. Looking down from where we had came from and admiring the the shadows created from the light.

 

One of the best things to do in Pai is to watch the sunset from Pai Canyon. It is scenic with stunning views of distant hills. However, the canyon was packed with tourists and it's hard to get an unblocked view. If you're feeling adventurous, you can ventrue to the outer parts of the canyon.

Other tourist things to do include visiting Pai Memorial Bridge, a historical landmark in Pai - The bridge was used by Japanese army during war world 2. Wander into the strawberry-themed restaurant/park, enjoy a cup of refreshing strawberry smoothie and take lots of photos at Love Strawberry Pai. Or enjoy a cup of good coffee at Coffee in Love - A little café with scenic views.

 

ABOVE: Sunset from Pai Canyon.

 

ABOVE: Pai Memorial Bridge, Love Strawberry Pai, Coffee in Love.

 

Pai is a romantic and beautiful place! It has a balance of great cafes and coffee places with natural attractions. Places are accessible with motorbikes and prices of goods here are pretty reasonable. Definitely a great place to hang around for a day or 2 before heading down south.

 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment